In today’s age of technology, it’s important to make sure that your choice for orthodontic treatment includes diagnosis and treatment planning using the most advanced technologies available. At Hidden Valley Orthodontics, we have employed the use of 3D cone beam x-ray technology for over 3 years now. This, along with our 10+ years use of intraoral digital scanners and in-house 3D printing, has allowed us to lead the charge in using technology to advance orthodontic treatment.
Having this technology available has enabled Dr. Fortney to not only treat patients more efficiently but has also allowed her to diagnose obstructed airways and other breathing issues in children that may lead to issues in their growth and development. This can be a life changing issue to diagnose, especially if caught early!
“Technology truly has changed our profession for the better” – Dr. Christy Fortney
I‐CAT Cone Beam 3D Dental Imaging System
Using The i-CAT Cone Beam 3D Dental Imaging System allows Dr. Fortney the ability to provide quick, comfortable, and effective imaging allowing for the most accurate orthodontic diagnosis possible.
i-CAT technology provides 3D data for:
- Orthodontic evaluation and detailed treatment planning
- Airway assessments and sleep apnea
- Full facial and jaw 3D images
Advantages of using this innovative technology:
- A safer diagnosis with less radiation than traditional CT scanners
- One (eight-second) scan provides enough data for a complete diagnosis
- Patient comfort — you are seated in an open environment with plenty of space
- Doctors can easily share the data with patients, so patients stay informed and are able to make educated decisions on their course of treatment
- Dr. Fortney can be your advocate if your child has an obstructed airway and can help facilitate communication with your ENT (ear, nose and throat specialist)
iTero Digital Impressions – Speed, Accuracy & Comfort
Hidden Valley Orthodontics is proud to offer iTero Digital Impressions for our patients. Unpleasant putty impressions are a thing of the past with the iTero Digital system!
For patients who are candidates for Invisalign aligners, an accurate impression is essential for effective treatment planning and orthodontic care. The accuracy and detail of the iTero scan vs a putty impression is comparable to watching HDTV over standard definition TV.
The iOC Scanner captures the contours of tooth and gingival structures, producing an accurate digital orthodontic scan in minutes. This non-evasive procedure is ideal for patients undergoing treatment with Invisalign and clear aligners. No unpleasant putty material traditionally associated with taking impressions.
How iTero Works
The iTero handheld wand takes a digital, 3D image of your prepared teeth, stopping as needed. The wand is non-evasive and you can breathe and swallow as needed during the procedure. If you need to move or adjust, you can do so – the accuracy of the handheld wand is first-rate. Needing to “re-do” impressions is rare. Plus, you can look at the iTero 3D image on the screen in real-time as the orthodontist moves the wand!
Instead of shipping impressions to the lab to be scanned, the digital image of your teeth is sent electronically to the lab and is available in the Invisalign Clincheck system the very next day. This 3D model of your mouth can be used with all Invisalign services – included the Invisalign Outcome Simulator, which shows what your new smile might look like after treatment is completed.
View the video below to learn more about the iTero scanning process:
Benefits of Teeth Scanning
- Eliminates Putty Impressions – the most invasive procedure in daily orthodontic care. No more goopy, unpleasant aftertaste of traditional impressions. An increase in your comfort!
- Superior Accuracy – with no distortion from patient movement during set, removal of impression, or disinfection.
- Onscreen Visualization – allows for immediate adjustment to create the ideal orthodontic scan the first time. The iTero image appears on the screen as the orthodontist scans your mouth in real time!
- Single Use Imaging Shield – to ensure maximum cleanliness
Trios 3Shape Orthodontic Intraoral Scanner
Benefits for patients by with HVO’s implimenting the use of the 3Shape scanner:
- Improved patient experience
- No uncomfortable alginate impressions
- We can make retainer and/or appliances in our in-house lab utilizing our multiple 3D printers
- Digital Uploads provide the ability for quicker turnaround times
- Appliances have a more precise fit
- CAD system allows for the most accurate bracket positioning